Re: Uploading during freeze time

On Monday, October 11, 2010 17:01:16 you wrote:
>On 11 October 2010 20:28, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net>
wrote:
>> In <[🔎] AANLkTikwokFFMTyFHi-YY7J=_FX8_44wbCbU3VCC6Jxs@mail.gmail.com>, Jordi
>> Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>>>
>>>So why not create a better place?
>>>
>> Because of the limited utility, which I mentioned in the message to which
>> you replied.  First, it only has any use during a freeze.
>
>"Only" during a freeze ends up meaning "six months or longer". You
>think that's a short time? It's one full Ubuntu release cycle!

There's no reason Debian freezes must last six months or longer.  Still, even
at that rate, the Debian freeze time would be proportionally less than the
time before a Ubuntu release where packages are not pulled from unstable.

Squeeze: Development started 2009-02-15, Freeze started 2010-08-06, Release
approximately 2011-02-06.  Freeze as a percentage of cycle: ~25%.  (I actually
expect an earlier release; that date is based on being frozen for 6 months.
If we release for Christmas, it is closer to 20%.)

Maverick: Development started 2010-05-06, Freeze started 2010-06-24, Release
2010-10-10.  Freeze as a percentage of cycle: ~80%.  (This is based on when
the automatic import from Debian unstable stops. Using the freeze date where
release managers get involved, you still get ~40%.  Using the last freeze
date, you still get >20%.)