Re: Four days

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010, Paul Wise wrote:
> Another demotivator is people who treat the archive as a dumping
> ground for their pet package; do a one-shot upload to get it in and
> essentially leave it orphaned after that. I tried to avoid that by
> having a policy of not sponsoring anything, but I still have a few
> such packages on my DDPO page. I'm not sure how to avoid that but
> actually upload stuff regularly.

This is actually my biggest concern with many RFS, and why I rarely
sponsor packages. We need some sort of method to indicate to sponsees
that the reason why their package isn't being sponsored is because
people think that it's not suitable for the archive instead of that
people are just ignoring it.

We probably should do a better job of identifying these packages and
responding to the RFS to tell people that it's of questionable
importance (or clearly no importance) and then channeling them into
assistance to Debian that is of greater importance. [It's also
difficult to break it to people that the work that they've done
probably isn't needed and keep them positive about contributing to the
project... though I think the sooner this happens, the less painful it
will be.]

It'd probably also be good to know in the RFS whether it's a new
package or an upload for an existing package. [The latter should
always get sponsored; the former may need guidance.]

Don Armstrong

--
LEADERSHIP -- A form of self-preservation exhibited by people with
autodestructive imaginations in order to ensure that when it comes to