Re: RFS: xinput-calibrator

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 1:13 AM, Tias <tias@ulyssis.org> wrote:

> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "xinput-calibrator".
> I would be glad if someone verified and uploaded this package for me.

Here is a review:

Since you're upstream it might be a good idea to add a configure
option to turn on xinput_calibrator_LDFLAGS = -Wl,--as-needed instead
of using a patch. If not, then please add DEP-3 headers to the patch.

http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep3/

debian/patches/debian-changes-0.7.0-2 should probably be replaced by
using dh-autoreconf to rebuild the autotools stuff.

Your Standards-Version is out of date, please review
upgrading-checklist.txt from debian-policy and make the appropriate
changes.

Your debian/changelog does not close your ITP.

You can remove the comments from debian/rules.

Your debian/rules probably doesn't need to run ./autogen.sh since
release tarballs will always have ./configure in them unless they were
created in a broken way (i.e. not with `make distcheck`). In any case,
running it from the pattern rule is the wrong place and you should use
the override_dh_auto_configure rule.

Usually DH_VERBOSE isn't set in debian/rules.

Please split build instructions from README into README.install since
they are not useful for users of the binary packages.

Please split changes between releases from README into a NEWS file.

After that, README will only contain information that is duplicated in
the package description and elsewhere so you can probably just not
ship it in the Debian package.

I read on the upstream website that it only uses pure X11, but you
build-depend on GTKmm, why is that? Looking at the debian/changelog
you seem to regard Debian as a desktop distribution. Debian is a
universal distribution and is used on everything from phones to
servers. IMO it would be good to offer both the GTKmm and the pure X11
versions on Debian.

You might want to contact Thibaut GIRKA who is adding support for the
OpenMoko FreeRunner to the Debian installer. I imagine that
touch-screen calibration is something that would be useful in d-i/g-i.

There is a spelling error in the code: s/tranditional/traditional/

Why does the .desktop file run cat?

Since I have an OpenMoko FreeRunner and use this software on
non-Debian partitions I'm interested to have it in Debian too.

lintian complaints:

I: xinput-calibrator source: quilt-patch-missing-description
link_as_needed.patch
W: xinput-calibrator source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.8.4
(current is 3.9.1)
I: xinput-calibrator: spelling-error-in-manpage
usr/share/man/man1/xinput_calibrator.1.gz usefull useful
I: xinput-calibrator: spelling-error-in-manpage
usr/share/man/man1/xinput_calibrator.1.gz Usefull Useful
I: xinput-calibrator: spelling-error-in-binary
./usr/bin/xinput_calibrator Succesfully Successfully
I: xinput-calibrator: spelling-error-in-binary
./usr/bin/xinput_calibrator Succesfully Successfully
I: xinput-calibrator: spelling-error-in-binary
./usr/bin/xinput_calibrator necesary necessary

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise