Re: RFS: presage

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Matteo Vescovi
<matteo.vescovi@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/p/presage/presage_0.8.4-2.dsc

A review:

Have you seen and used the abi-compliance-checker package? It would be
good if you could use that upstream to ensure that you do not break
the ABI.

Copyright info for your stuff should be 2004-2010.

Some copyright info for these files is missing:

apps/dbus/presage_dbus_service*
apps/gtk/gpresagemate/gpresagemate.cpp
apps/python/presagemate/presagemate.py
apps/python/pypresagemate*

Please add DEP-3 headers to this patch and don't forget to commit it upstream:

debian/patches/fix-hyphen-used-as-minus-sign-in-text2ngram-man-page.patch
http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep3/

debian policy 3.9.1 is out.

pypresage causes a segfault in python when I turn on learn mode and
type some things, could you add a -dbg package please? Not sure but
the segfault could be related to this message:

[DatabaseConnector] Error executing SQL: 'INSERT INTO _1_gram
VALUES('dfsdfsd', 1);' on database:
'/usr/share/presage/database_en.db' : attempt to write a readonly
database
'SqliteDatabaseConnector::SqliteDatabaseConnectorException'

That message indicates that the database is in the wrong directory
since it needs to be modified. I'm now thinking that it belongs in
~/.presage or similar rather than /var or /usr/share. Probably each
user is going to want to have a different predictive text entry model
anyway.

In pyprompter, when I switch to another application, the prompt menu
stays over the top of that menu.

On systems without a keyboard, just a touchscreen, you probably don't
need to display F1 F2 F3 F4 ... etc. Not sure if there is a way to
detect that. On keyboards without Fn keys you might switch to 1 2 3 4
... instead, also not sure if that is detectable.

I played around in pyprompter for a while but I wasn't really
satisfied, just typing seemed faster. I guess on something like a
touchscreen it might be better. Or does it get better the more you
train it? Would a larger database of gutenberg texts make it work
better?

Have you compared presage with other predictive text entry systems
such as the ones on commercial mobile phones or the one in the
keyboard from e17 in Debian or the one from QtMoko?

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise