Re: RFS: libcolladadom and libminizip

2010/7/19 Johan Van de Wauw <johan.vandewauw@gmail.com>:
> 2010/7/17 Sébastien Barthélemy <barthelemy@crans.org>:
>
>> - the upstream tarball includes sources for a shared library:
>>  libminizip. However, the upstream minizip authors do not provide (nor
>>  support) this library, but executables, which are already packaged
>>  in zlib-bin. The libminizip library is also used by chromium:
>>  #574798 (the chromium bug is 29048). What should I do?
>>  My current version of the libcolladadom package creates libminizip
>>  binary packages based on the files shipped with collada-dom. But they are
>>  a little bit outdated.
>
> I'm no expert, so don't blame me if I'm wrong, but are you sure there
> is no upstream version of minizip which creates a shared library?

For what I know, no.

> Is it a different package than the one provided here, which builds a
> shared library:
> http://www.zlib.net/

The minizip sources are indeed (and only) distributed with zlib, in
zlib/contrib/minizip. They are not part of zlib though, and not built
in the zlib
shared library.

For instance, see http://www.zlib.net/zlib_faq.html#faq41

In addition, zlib/contrib/vstudio contains visual studio project files to build
zlibwapi.dll, which is apparently an alternative version of the zlib library,
with minizip functions integrated. I think this DLL was previously called
zlib too, which lead to confusion. I don't think it is official in any way, nor
built for linux.

PS: I CC-ed the list.