RFS: libcolladadom and libminizip

Dear mentors,

I am looking for a sponsor for my package "libcolladadom".

* Package name    : libcolladadom
  Version         : 2.2.1-1
  Upstream Author : Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
* URL             : https://sourceforge.net/projects/collada-dom
* License         : MIT
  Section         : libs

It builds these binary packages:
libcollada14dom2.2 - COLLADA Document Object Model (DOM)
libcolladadom-dev - COLLADA Document Object Model (DOM) development files
libminizip-dev - libminizip development files
libminizip1 - libminizip development files

The upload would fix these bugs: 589152

My motivation for maintaining this package is:

Collada is an XML-based royalty-free format for digital (3D) asset exchange.
It is used Google 3D warehouse, Google sketchup, many 3d authoring software,
simulators, and is gaining popularity in the robotics community.

Collada-dom is an open source C++ library to read and write collada files.
It not under active development anymore.

However, I think it is worth packaging because

1) openscenegraph (already in debian) collada support is based on the dom.
   Once libcolladadom is in debian, we could enable collada support in OSG,
2) that would be a needed step to package the collada coherencytest, which,
   given the high number of invalid collada files lying on the internet,
   is badly needed.

main contrib non-free
- dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/libcolladadom/libcolladadom_2.2.1-1.dsc

The package is not finished yet:
- I need to build it for collada 1.5 (with a new binary package)
- I'd like to integrate the tests in the package.

However, before I continue, con someone check this first attempt?

I also have a few questions.

- besides collada-dom, the upstream svn and tarballs include several
  related programs, which I do not plan to build. They are either
  dependancies (such as pcre) which are already packaged separately in
  debian, or distinct programs, which could be built and packaged in debian,
  but I won't do it myself (at least not now).
  Should I remove the extraneous source files, or keep them? In the current
  version I kept them.

- the upstream tarball includes sources for a shared library:
  libminizip. However, the upstream minizip authors do not provide (nor
  support) this library, but executables, which are already packaged
  in zlib-bin. The libminizip library is also used by chromium:
  #574798 (the chromium bug is 29048). What should I do?
  My current version of the libcolladadom package creates libminizip
  binary packages based on the files shipped with collada-dom. But they are
  a little bit outdated.

- /usr/lib symlinks. The collada-dom build system creates the versionless
  symlinks pointing to the libraries, without using libtool. Should I remove
  them (to avoid conflicts)?

I would be glad of any feedback and advices, especially as this is my first
debian package

Kind regards
 Sébastien Barthélémy