Can a package be uploaded to unstable before it works correctly in stable ?

Dear Mentors,

I'm packaging sunpinyin, a Chinese input method, and Thomas Goirand
<zigo@debian.org> is sponsoring it. sunpinyin can be compiled and packaged in
my Debian unstable environment, but it fails when build in lenny
environment[1]

I build a clean lenny environment, and try to compile and package sunpinyin,
but dpkg-buildpackage failed in build dependency check, sunpinyin need
debhelper (>= 7.0.50~) and quilt (>= 0.0.46-7). debehelper(>=7.0.50~) is added
by dh_make, and quilt (>= 0.0.46-7) is added to eliminate a lintian warning.

But the versions in lenny is debhelper 7.0.15 and quilt 0.46-6, so sunpinyin
failed in build dependency check stage.

The versions in lenny-backports is debhelper 7.4.11~bpo50+1 and quilt
0.46-8~bpo50+1, they fit the build dependency. But is backports.org a part of
debian NOW? should it be used in a clean room environment ?

It looks a little hard to make sunpinyin be compiled and packaged in lenny, so
before I do, I want to know can a package be uploaded to unstable before it
works correctly in stable? If No, I'll fix this problem as soon as possible.

[1]http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2010/07/msg00042.html

Regards,
--
Liang Guo