Re: RFS: googlecl (now uploaded to mentors repo)

On 06/15/2010 02:37 PM, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 11:00, Umang Varma <umang.me@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As a not-so-experienced person, I shouldn't have a say in this, but I
>> feel that it is far too general a name to use. I'm sure there are many
>> scripts that do something related to google, not all can be called 'google'.
>
> Indeed, I spotted that only after reply was sent: given the package is
> called googlecl, I'd say just call the bin googlecl.

This is confusing.

First, Google seems to have it's own Debian package [1] and it hasn't
made the source of that package available. I don't know what Google's
track record with packaging/building/etc is (Chrome != Chromium, etc),
so I don't know what they hope to achieve by hosting the a .deb as a
download and not letting other access the source. A Debian maintainer
will not blindly apply them, but it could serve as a starting point.

Secondly, Google itself wants the bin to be called `google`. [2] Since
the official project page [3] and documentation [4] says `$ google foo
bar`, making end-users call `$ googlecl foo bar` may confuse them.
Particularly so if they use something like the Ubuntu Software Center
(which is the default newbie's package manager on Debian as `gnome` now
depends on it) where they're unlikely to read the description - if at
all the description is allowed to have such a warning.

PS: I am subscribed to d-mentors@l.d.o, so no need to CC me. :-)

[1]:
http://code.google.com/p/googlecl/downloads/detail?name=googlecl_0.9.5-1_all.deb&can=2&q=

[2]: