Re: RFS: googlecl (now uploaded to mentors repo)

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 14:13, Umang Varma <umang.me@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/15/2010 02:37 PM, Sandro Tosi wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 11:00, Umang Varma <umang.me@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> As a not-so-experienced person, I shouldn't have a say in this, but I
>>> feel that it is far too general a name to use. I'm sure there are many
>>> scripts that do something related to google, not all can be called 'google'.
>>
>> Indeed, I spotted that only after reply was sent: given the package is
>> called googlecl, I'd say just call the bin googlecl.
>
> This is confusing.
>
> First, Google seems to have it's own Debian package [1] and it hasn't
> made the source of that package available.

at least "33 hours ago" from now they released a tarball. it wasn't
there at the time the RFS was went.

> I don't know what Google's
> track record with packaging/building/etc is (Chrome != Chromium, etc),
> so I don't know what they hope to achieve by hosting the a .deb as a
> download and not letting other access the source. A Debian maintainer
> will not blindly apply them, but it could serve as a starting point.

source package was on mentors.d.n, surely it could have been released
on code.g.c too.

> Secondly, Google itself wants the bin to be called `google`. [2] Since
> the official project page [3] and documentation [4] says `$ google foo
> bar`, making end-users call `$ googlecl foo bar` may confuse them.

it wouldn't be the first time we rename an upstream exec because too
generic. Should we not doing this because big-G is so big and have
nice tool?

Also note that the ultimate decision will be done by ftp-masters, but
I still consider 'google' too generic (mmh, is it copyrighted and
can't be typed in our terminal without paying fees? </provatory>)

> Particularly so if they use something like the Ubuntu Software Center
> (which is the default newbie's package manager on Debian as `gnome` now
> depends on it) where they're unlikely to read the description - if at
> all the description is allowed to have such a warning.

well, we can't write tools that are completely newbie-proof, no matter
how many checks and things you put in them.

> PS: I am subscribed to d-mentors@l.d.o, so no need to CC me. :-)

done

> [2]:
> http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2010/06/introducing-google-command-line-tool.html

"Along with a standard tarball, we have a .deb package ready for
download, and hope to have it included in Debian and Ubuntu
repositories in time for their next releases"

By Jason Holt

probably some more work on the debian package and less marketing would
have had the package already in NEW queue ;)

Regards,