Re: Asking for DMUA: Yes while seeking first sponsor

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 10:14:54 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:13 AM, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl
> <tolimar@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > I noticed that recently some people seem to seek first time sponsors
> > while asking for setting the "DM-Upload-Allowed: yes" flag at the very
> > same time.
>
> This isn't the only misuse of DMUA that exists, some people set it in
> their package instead of asking the sponsor to set it.

It's our duty to check if DMUA is set or not. Never, EVER, review a package
only based on a changelog.

If I am unhappy with DMUA for a specific maintainer+package pair, I talk to the
maintainer, and tell her I can upload only without DMUA because I don't
believe she is ready for unattended uploads. If she agrees, I simply drop that
line from debian/control and upload the package -- otherwise she just goes and
looks for another sponsor.
If we all agree on being stricter about DMUA, she just won't get that flag, even
when asking someone else.

I don't see any flaw in the current process. Sponsors already take the burden of
many things when uploading a package (license issues and dfsg-freeness come to
mind), and checking DMUA is just one of them.

> Others go further and do not mention that in debian/changelog nor in their RFS
> mail.

One of those "sponsoring rules" I try to enforce to people asking for uploads
is: add a "DMUA set" in debian/changelog, and possibly something like "ACKed by
dapal".
Checking the changelog is, once again, still our duty -- people looking for
sponsors tipically are:

  1) newbies -- and they don't know what to do, someone must instruct them
     on best practices -- that's why we're also "mentors",
  2) experienced packagers with no upload rights -- being experienced, just
     tell a word and they'll understand.

So, there really is no flaw in the current process, IMO.

Kindly,
David

--
 . ''`.   Debian developer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino