Re: RFS: xpdf (updated package)

On Jun 05 2010, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
> I never saw any file that made Evince crash, but I saw some files that
> Xpdf renders perfectly and where Evince does not display at all some
> fonts. For instance the LaTeX fontspec package's documentation, that
> you can find at <http://tanguy.ortolo.eu/tmp/fontspec.pdf>.

I use fontspec every single day. For poppler-based viewers, install
poppler-data (see my other message to Charles Plessy).

> I have often used Xpdf as a fallback when Evince was unable to correctly
> display a file. Making them use the same renderer would just leave me
> completely unable to read those files, so if it happens, I would try
> very hard to keep an old version of Xpdf as long as I can. :-/

Well, I am in a similar situation: I use evince (actually, evince-gtk)
as a fallback for xpdf, but I am willing to have everything use fewer
dependencies, as long as the functionality is kept.

Heck, I even compile my own packages optimized for size (-Os) rather
than for speed (say, -O2 or -O3) with GCC. :-)

The only reason why I keep evince here is that I want to be able to read
djvu files also and I don't want to pull the entire qt4 libraries just
for a single program.

Regards,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 1024D/7C2CAEB8