Re: embedded-zlib and fpc

Matthias Klumpp <matthias@nlinux.org> writes:
> On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 14:30:58 -0700, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

>> Ah, no, I was looking in the wrong package.  It's fp-units-base, and
>> the string is indeed exactly the problematic string indicating an
>> embedded copy of zlib:

>>     4 deflate 1.1.2 Copyright 1995-1998 Jean-loup Gailly

>> It's in usr/lib/fpc/2.4.0/units/i386-linux/paszlib/zdeflate.o, and
>> that's because despite being a completely different implementation
>> translated to Pascal, the Pascal implementation embeds exactly the same
>> copyright and version string as the C imlementation.  Sigh.

>> This is generally a false positive in that this is not the problem that
>> Lintian is trying to diagnose (although I don't understand why it only
>> sometimes shows up in builds of easymp3gain).  I'm trying to figure out
>> a good way of having Lintian avoid this problem.

>> I wonder if we can trigger off of that leading 4 to suppress this tag,
>> since that seems to be peculiar to the Pascal implementation.  I think
>> I'll give that a try for the next Lintian release.

I've tested this modification and it will be in the next Lintian release.
The "4" is the Pascal string length (52), which luckily turns out to be an
ASCII character in this case so it shows up in the strings output.  It
should be reliable as a way to avoid this problem, although we'll have to
tweak Lintian again if the length of that string ever changes.

> Thank you! I asked at debian-devel for some info about this and worked
> with the FPC developers and came to exactly the same conclusion as you
> do.  If you ldd the binary, you can also see zlib is dynamically linked.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that the different implementation copies the string
so exactly, but part of the fun of working on Lintian is coming up with
little hacks to avoid false positives.  :)