Re: embedded-zlib and fpc

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> The problem with embedded-zlib appears to be a false positive in Lintian.
> It seems to be triggering on the string:

>     "Seek in deflate compressed stream failed."

Ah, no, I was looking in the wrong package.  It's fp-units-base, and the
string is indeed exactly the problematic string indicating an embedded
copy of zlib:

    4 deflate 1.1.2 Copyright 1995-1998 Jean-loup Gailly

It's in usr/lib/fpc/2.4.0/units/i386-linux/paszlib/zdeflate.o, and that's
because despite being a completely different implementation translated to
Pascal, the Pascal implementation embeds exactly the same copyright and
version string as the C imlementation.  Sigh.

This is generally a false positive in that this is not the problem that
Lintian is trying to diagnose (although I don't understand why it only
sometimes shows up in builds of easymp3gain).  I'm trying to figure out a
good way of having Lintian avoid this problem.

I wonder if we can trigger off of that leading 4 to suppress this tag,
since that seems to be peculiar to the Pascal implementation.  I think
I'll give that a try for the next Lintian release.