Re: RFS: libconfig

Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 03:41:06PM +0200, José Luis Tallón wrote:
>
>> Dear mentors,
>>
>> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "libconfig".
>> This release makes available a new upstream version
>>
>> * Package name    : libconfig
>>   Version         : 1.4.3-1
>>   Upstream Author : Mark A Lindner
>> * URL             : http://www.hyperrealm.com/libconfig/
>> * License         : LGPL-2.1
>>   Section         : libs
>>

> Hmm, according to your watch file there is a newer version available.

The release happened this morning (cfr. Freshmeat.net)
> Is there a reason you don't use debhelper 7? I mean, you don't have to
> but the change is simple and since you updated the packaging wrt source
> format and policy... Attached diff applied seems to build the same
> binaries (but please double-check).

Since I'm not really using any features of debhelper > 5, I think it is
best to not force it.
Even though using quilt w/o build-depending on it forces usage of a
newish dpkg (as included in lenny-r5), I try to relax requirements as
much as possible in case someone needs to backport and/or shoehorn the
package to a restricted derivative (i.e. OpenEmbedded)
> I'm not very familiar with shared libraries to be honest. Why don't you
> provide versioned symbols?
I am not as proficient as I would like, either.
Since dpkg-gensymbols (by way of its invocation via dh_makeshlibs)
provides a sane default, I'd rather not add an incorrect one until I can
be very sure of it
  (moreover, this close to the freeze, my ability to have a fix included
might be limited)
> And did you check for API/ABI breakage -- just to be sure no binNMUs are needed?

libconfig8 hasn't changed API  AFAIK,
.... but I have indeed found a major ABI breakage *and* a nasty bug here.

... which means I will re-submit and updated package, of course.