Re: RFS: libsmf

On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 06:14:25PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> A review:

Thanks for your review,

> The first 3 symbols in the symbols file look like they might be
> internal symbols that should not be exported, is that the case?
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Visibility

It seems tha the whole file src/smf_private.h shoul not export symbols,
so I will make a patch to add

#pragma GCC visibility push(hidden)
#pragma GCC visibility pop

and check it with upstreamer (maybe he prefers another approach).

> The SONAME should not be added to the -dev or utils packages. I'd
> recommend naming the utils package smf-utils

Ok, I will change the names.

> Why does the -dev package depend on libc-dev?
>

>From the "Debian Library Packaging guide" (a non official document)

http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html#id291957

     "The -DEV package would usually declare Depends: relationship on
     all -DEV packages for libraries that the library package directly
     depends upon, with the specific SONAME version that the library
     package is linked against. This includes libc-dev. [5]

     The dependency is required to make things such as statically
     linked libraries to work, and C header file inclusions.

     [5] A package should depend on libc-dev, without versioned
     depends, or generate ... Not all architectures have libc-dev as
     libc6-dev."

I saw that packages like libgpm-dev does this.

Is this wrong (or deprecated)?

> I find it interesting that upstream uses readline (GPL) rather than
> editline (BSD).

Thanks for your help.

--
Josué M. Abarca S.