Re: RFS: coffeescript

On 04/01/2010 12:42 PM, Christoph Egger wrote:
>  * Could you maybe merge the changelog entries into a single one?
>    There's no reason to increase the debian revision for every
>    bullet-point ;)

Done, I've merged the changelogs and am now back at 0.5.6-1

>  * You're using format '3.0 (quilt)' for your package so applying the
>    patches works at extraction time and there's no need for a '--with
>    quilt' in the rules file (also, for a --with quilt you'd need to
>    build-depend on a correct version of the quilt package)

Done, I've removed the --with-quilt

>  * Your patches don't have any description on them. I've missed such
>    information quite often when adopting some package (there's some
>    DEP for a uniform format somewhere). Also have you forwarded the
>    patches upstream?

I've added descriptions to the patches, as recommended by DEP-3. I'm not
forwarding the patches upstream, as they mostly relate to
debian-specific quirks and are not generally useful (specifically, one
deals with Node.js being installed to /usr/bin/nodejs in Debian instead
of upstream's default location at /usr/bin/node, and the other is simply
to allow coffee to be installed directly in /usr/bin/coffee instead of
/usr/lib/coffeescript/coffee, whereas upstream instead uses an
unnecessary symlink).

> 	Have you tested your package with lintian? I'm certainly not
> nit-picking on Information or Pedantic tags but some of the
> Error/Warnings definitely look worth fixing (invoking linitan with -i
> additionally gives a description of the issues at hand):

I've fixed as many of the warnings as I could; currently the output of
lintian is:

P: coffeescript-doc: no-upstream-changelog
I: coffeescript-doc: extended-description-is-probably-too-short
P: coffeescript: no-upstream-changelog
W: coffeescript: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/cake
W: coffeescript: unusual-interpreter ./usr/bin/cake #!nodejs
W: coffeescript: unusual-interpreter ./usr/bin/coffee #!nodejs
W: coffeescript: executable-not-elf-or-script
./usr/lib/coffeescript/optparse.js
W: coffeescript: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/lib/coffeescript/cake.js
W: coffeescript: executable-not-elf-or-script
./usr/lib/coffeescript/parser.js

The unusual-interpreter errors are of course unfixable since the program
only runs on nodejs, there is no upstream changelog file (though there
is one on the website, I could copy-paste it if desired but I don't
think that's in line with Debian policy), and the warnings about
executable permissions I unfortunately didn't figure out how to fix
since quilt doesn't seem to be able to keep track of file permissions
(if anyone has suggestions on how to store changes to the file
permissions in the quilt patch set do let me know).

Thanks,
Geza