correctly upgrading a package's source format to 3.0(quilt)

Hi there,

this is about a binary-indep package where there used to be lots of
hacks in the build and other custom targets of debian/rules.

One of the things that worry me most is that copying/moving files and
applying patches in the build target is not acceptable (I believe).
Especially, applying patches. The problem here is: I would like to
create a copy of an upstream file and modify it. For that I:
- backup the original
- patch the original
- move the patched original to where the modified copy should go
- restore the original
Now you agree that if I get hit by the bus and someone else has to
take over... well not sure if they too wouldn't be looking for the
next bus (or train, for that matter)...

Other actions are:
- extracting zip files to be included in the package
- (re)moving unnecessary docs using 'find'
- changing permissions
- ...

What would be the correct way to go about this? Surely, not everything
can be done using quilt... and even if some actions were possible like
removing the unnecessary docs (why bother and do this via patches that
have to be recreated each time upstream changes something).

Probably I need to carry out these actions using the "patch" target
and let the user/developer know via README.source? But even then, what
I described above is still not feasible.

Regards,
JM