Re: RFS: ceph

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 4:38 AM, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh@asheesh.org> wrote:

> First of all, you've made it a native package.
> http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html covers that.
> Debian etiquette prefers that you separate your packaging metadata
> (debian/*) from the rest of the source.
>
> An explanation: "The problem is that at some point, upstream's debian
> directory will deviate from the one in the Debian package -- because the
> maintainer changes, the directory was already outdated, or someone does an
> NMU or a security upload. The .diff.gz will now be a diff between the two
> debian dirs, which is very confusing."
> <http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html>
>
> (Honestly I think Debian should work on improving the situation for upstream
> maintainers who want to put debian/* in their version control systems, but
> right now I suggest separating them out. Since you're using git, one thing
> you can do is keep a separate git branch with your debian/ directory, and
> ship your standard release tarballs without it.)

Upstream keeping debian/ in their tarball is no longer as problematic;
with the dpkg-source 3.0 (quilt) format, dpkg-source deletes the
debian/ dir unpacked from the upstream orig.tar.gz before extracting
the debian.tar.gz, so the upstream debian/ dir is no longer relevant.

Your point about native packages is still valid; it isn't appropriate
for ceph to be a native package because it isn't Debian-specific.

>> I'm also interested in becoming a Debian Developer.  My company, DreamHost
>> web hosting, is a long time debian user, and we maintain a large number of
>> packages internally that could be contributed upstream (perl modules and
>> such).  One way or another, I'd like to see the packaging work we do
>> internally get contributed back to the community.

For the perl modules, I'd strongly suggest the relevant persons join
the Perl team, you'll easily find sponsors, advice, QA and shared
maintainence there.

http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianPerlGroup

--
bye,