Re: RFS: ceph

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Feb 2010, Sage Weil wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am looking for a sponsor for ceph.  Ceph is a distributed object store and
> > file system designed for scalability, reliability, and performance. The
> > kernel module for mounting the file system is planned for inclusion in
> > 2.6.34.
>
> Hi! That's one awesome package. I'm very busy of late, but I hope you're
> looking into DebianMaintainer status -- have you read
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer ?
>
> It'd be perfect for your situation as you're the upstream as well.

I was actually looking at the New Maintainer/Debian Developer process, but
becoming a Debian Maintainer would also serve my immediate purposes for
this package.  Ultimately I hope to be able to build and upload new
versions of the package when they are released, but finding a sponsor is
the first step.  I've spent a fair amount of time putting the package
together, but I'm sure there are issues or improvements that can be made.

I'm also interested in becoming a Debian Developer.  My company, DreamHost
web hosting, is a long time debian user, and we maintain a large number of
packages internally that could be contributed upstream (perl modules and
such).  One way or another, I'd like to see the packaging work we do
internally get contributed back to the community.

> It's most helpful for this list if you post a link to a .dsc file you want us
> to review.

http://ceph.newdream.net/debian/dists/unstable/main/source/ceph_0.18git20100204164957.dsc

Thanks-
sage