Re: how to compare versions

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 21:01:12 -0700
"Wesley J. Landaker" <wjl@icecavern.net> wrote:
> > It adds additional strong restrictions on the order in which packages
> > must be upgraded. Too many such restrictions and there might not be a
> > way to upgrade at all. Somewhere before that you (via apt/aptitutde/...)
> > get the effect that you have to temporarily remove packages to upgrade.
> >
> > The less restrictions there are on the order the easier it is to
> > upgrade.
>
> This is true in general, although it's perhaps worth noting that a rare pre-
> depends on a priority required package like debconf by a priority optional or
> extra package isn't likely to cause any trouble.

 Yes, it is true in general but I want to know the example for that :)
 For example, if I have foobar package and it says "Pre-Depends: debconf",
 what would happen?

 BTW, I would rename tomoyo-ccstools to tomoyo-ccstools1.7 and not provide
 upgrade path for that. If I just would upgrade this pacakge, it'll break
 system that it works with security policies for 1.6.x, so I should leave
 it and provide README.Debian for upgrade to 1.7.

--
Regards,

 Hideki Yamane     henrich @ debian.or.jp/iijmio-mail.jp
 http://wiki.debian.org/HidekiYamane