how to compare versions

Hi,

 I'm thinking about tomoyo-ccstools package update but it has a problem.
 It has no compatibility with current version (1.6.8) and newer version
 (1.7.1). So, I want users would be able to choice continue upgrading or
 not with debconf.

 I wrote that, but there's a problem - it compares versions in preinst
 script, so it has "Pre-Depends: debconf". It is recommended to avoid
 using Pre-Depends as policy manual says.
 # http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#s-binarydeps

 So I want to ask how would I do such thing - compare version with current
 installed version - in smart way, without pre-depends.

--
Regards,

 Hideki Yamane     henrich @ debian.or.jp/iijmio-mail.jp
 http://wiki.debian.org/HidekiYamane