Indicating the resolution of a closed bug report (was: help with BTS mail interface)

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> > Kumar Appaiah <a.kumar@alumni.iitm.ac.in> writes:
>
> >> "Closing with a wontfix tag" is something which people do, but I
> >> personally don't prefer.
[…]

> > What, then, should be the tag applied for “not a bug” or otherwise
> > invalid reports?
>
> In Debian, the standard practice is to just close them. Some
> maintainers tag them with wontfix before closing them, but the tags on
> closed bugs are mostly ignored so it's not clear that this makes much
> difference.

I would guess (and in my case, I know) that the people who do this are
using it for some standard indication of the “resolution” of the bug
report. That is, answering the question “What was the state of the bug
when this report was closed?”

The usual case would be “fixed”, so that can be assumed in the absence
of such information. But for reports closed *without* a “fix”, it would
be good to indicate that, probably with standard tags. Do they exist?

--
 \          “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without |
  `\      having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it |