Re: Reforming 'orig.tar.gz' with included tar-ball.

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Mats Erik Andersson
<mats.andersson@gisladisker.se> wrote:

> I am in the process of fulfilling an ITA filed on an orphaned package.
> However, I now experience a desire to begin patching the upstream
> source for compiling errors and spelling errors in the manual page.

Since you are now part of upstream (I assume this is nettoe), just
make those changes in the upstream version control repository and make
a new release. If this isn't nettoe, send patches upstream and prod
them into making a new release.

> To my dismay the previous maintainer chose to let the 'orig.tar.gz'-file
> contain the packaged and compressed upstream tar archive. My personal
> taste is to abondon this practice, if for no other reason to simplify
> the rules-file.

Please do so, tarball-in-tarball packages are horrible. With "3.0
(quilt)" format there is much less reason to use them.

> Is there some reverence that should prevent me from taking the step
> of letting a new 'orig.tar.gz' be a byte-for-byte copy of the upstream
> source archive? I will make the new package conform to "3.0 (quilt)".

You'll need to make the upstream version of the new tarball different
to the current one in Debian, otherwise the new tarball will be
rejected by dak. If you/upstream release a new upstream version you
won't need to resort to version number hacks. The usual version number
hack is to append +ds1 to the upstream version number.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise