Re: Man page, the way to avoid lintian error ??

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

>> The first thing to double-check is whether you have a UTF-8 locale
>> installed. If you don't, that may be confusing man.

> I'm confused by the related discussion (on ‘debian-devel’, I think) of
> having a UTF-8 locale installed by default.

> In a minimal ‘pbuilder’ environment, this is happening all the time for
> me now. What should users of ‘pbuilder’ be doing to avoid this problem?

Install locales in your chroot, specifically:

echo 'locales locales/locales_to_be_generated multiselect en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8' \
    | debconf-set-selections
aptitude install locales

or whatever UTF-8 locale you prefer.

Here's the script that I use to post-process cowbuilder chroots, in case
it's useful.  The dpkg-reconfigure of debconf is so that I can change the
front-end to readline and the severity to critical, which can't be done
via a preseed since debconf is installed by debootstrap.

#!/bin/sh
# $Id: cowbuilder-clean,v 1.5 2010-01-07 00:42:11 eagle Exp $
#
# Cleans up a new cowbuilder chroot, stripping out everything other than
# build-essential and some programs that are almost always installed
# (debhelper, fakeroot, etc.)  Takes the name of the chroot directory as
# its only argument.

set -e

if [ -z "$1" ] ; then
    echo 'No chroot directory given' >&2
    exit 1
fi
if [ ! -d "$1" ] ; then
    echo "chroot directory $1 is not a directory" >&2
    exit 1
fi

chroot "$1" apt-get install aptitude
chroot "$1" aptitude markauto \
    '?not(build-essential|debhelper|aptitude|cowdancer|pbuilder|cdebootstrap-helper-rc.d)'
echo 'locales locales/locales_to_be_generated multiselect en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8' \
    | chroot "$1" debconf-set-selections
chroot "$1" aptitude -R install debhelper fakeroot locales
chroot "$1" dpkg-reconfigure debconf
chroot "$1" dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall | awk '{ print $1 }' \