Re: Man page, the way to avoid lintian error ??

Laurent Guignard <lguignard.debian@gmail.com> writes:

> When i run lintian on my package i have this :

> W: dhcp-probe: manpage-has-errors-from-man
> usr/share/man/cf/man5/dhcp_probe.5.gz  Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide
> character
> W: dhcp-probe: manpage-has-errors-from-man
> usr/share/man/man5/dhcp_probe.cf.5.gz  Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide
> character
> W: dhcp-probe: manpage-has-errors-from-man usr/share/man/man8/dhcp_probe.8.gz
> Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character

> The problem is that there are more 80 characters on lines.

Well, that may also be the case, but that's not actually what Lintian is
warning about.  man --warnings thinks that you've got an invalid wide
character in your man page.

The first thing to double-check is whether you have a UTF-8 locale
installed.  If you don't, that may be confusing man.  Lintian has to force
man to use UTF-8 or we run into problems checking man pages in languages
that have to use multibyte characters, such as Chinese.

If that isn't the problem it may be that your man page is not encoded in
the correct character set for where you're installing it.  You may be able
to correct this by using iconv on the upstream man pages to convert the
character set used upstream to what should be used on Debian (generally
UTF-8).