Re: RFS: xfe (updated package - new upstream release)

Hi, Joachim.

On Nov 16 2009, Joachim Wiedorn wrote:
> Ok, I have to include intltool in the build dependencies. Please can
> you say me the other "minor things", so I can check them, too.

Well, this is just a quick look at the package:

* the debian/README file talks about installation of some
  programs; this is useless if you are installing a precompiled package,
  because you, the maintainer, will have taken care of the dependencies.

* why not wrap the (build-)dependencies to leave one for each line,
  easing the manipulation and readability?

* you mention on debian/copyright that you packaged the program, but the
  changelog says that some other people worked on that. Can you clarify?

* you can remove comments from the watch file.

* why do you prefix some commands in debian/rules with a minus sign? Do
  you want to ignore their error conditions? What about using something
  like:

  foo || /bin/true

  ? Why ignore the errors in the first place?

* some comments on debian/rules could be removed, couldn't they?

* in patch 01_no-mount-warning.patch, only linux is checked. What about
  the kFreeBSD's? Any bug with them is now considered release critical.
  Please, see if my comments apply or if they can be ignored.

* why do you have two patches to xferc? The patches have no comments on
  them (See DEP-3).

* patch 05_names-in-xfedefs.patch replaces xmms with audacious. I think
  that that should be audacious2.

* why does it get compiled with -O3? Why not -O2? Why not -Os
  (especially useful for machines without a lot of cache).

* can't you compile the C++ code with -Wextra and -Weffc++? This way,
  more warnings could be emitted and some potential bug that is lurking
  there would just be discovered soon.

Anyway, thank you very much for xfe. I'm itching to have a newer version
available in Debian, especially now that you split the not needed parts
from the main program.

Thanks, Rogério Brito.