Re: Third-party patches when upstream is MIA

Ryan Kavanagh <ryanakca@kubuntu.org> writes:

> I currently maintain the 'slingshot' package in Debian, however,
> upstream appears to be MIA, website no longer exists, etc, etc.
> However, I have received a patch from a user that fixes issues
[…]
> I am wondering how to best distribute these changes.

You have at least the following options:

* Apply the fixes to the Debian package. This is best done by using a
  patch management system, such as Quilt, to keep the patches separate
  from the original source and have them applied when the Debian package
  is built.

  Choose this option if you have little or no interest in taking over
  the role of upstream developer of the work.

* Make a new version of the original source that incorporates the
  changes, effectively taking over the role of upstream for that
  package.

  Choose this option if you want to continue upstream development and
  hosting of the work. It's best to put some effort into getting
  explicit approval from the existing developers to take over this role,
  to make the transition as smooth as possible.

  If you fail to get explicit approval, you will effectively be forking
  the code base. For free software, this will be allowed in the license
  terms (otherwise the work is not free software), but there may be
  details in the license terms you need to observe (e.g. GPL requires
  your fork to carry clear notices that it's a modified version of the
  original).

> Should I apply them to upstream's sources in the 'slingshot' package,

Don't make Debian-specific changes in the upstream source unless you
have no other option (e.g. files must be removed to make the package
conform with DFSG). Not appropriate for mere bug fixes or enhancements.

> or would it be better to make to two packages (à la mutt /
> mutt-patched), one called 'slingshot', the other 'slingshot-patched'
> or something of the sort. Or should I apply the bug fixes to both, and
> keep the features to -patched?

There's no need to do this; if you want to apply patches, do so using
the Debian source package format (that stores the patches separately for
applying during package build).

--
 \      “You say “Carmina”, and I say “Burana”, You say “Fortuna”, and |
  `\    I say “cantata”, Carmina, Burana, Fortuna, cantata, Let's Carl |