Third-party patches when upstream is MIA

Hi list,
I currently maintain the 'slingshot' package in Debian, however, upstream
appears to be MIA, website no longer exists, etc, etc. However, I have received
a patch from a user that fixes issues (no crashes at help / welcome screen,
remove deprecated pygame warnings, etc.) and adds features such as network
support, consistent code formatting, etc.

I am wondering how to best distribute these changes. Should I apply them to
upstream's sources in the 'slingshot' package, or would it be better to make to
two packages (à la mutt / mutt-patched), one called 'slingshot', the other
'slingshot-patched' or something of the sort. Or should I apply the bug fixes to
both, and keep the features to -patched?

Cheers,
Ryan

--
|_)|_/  Ryan Kavanagh             |  Gnupg key