Re: RFS: sqlkit

On Friday 04 September 2009 13:14:43 Alessandro Dentella wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 05:54:17PM +0200, Laszlo Boszormenyi wrote:
> > necessary to depend on all SQL related Python support packages? Some may
> > need it for PostgreSQL only and pulling in MySQL related packages is a
> > bit of overkill. Consider an 'or' dependency of PostgreSQL and MySQL.
>
> I put only the 2 very popular ones, sqledit supports many more.
>
> At the beginning I just put postgres and mysql driver in 'Suggest' but
> I think that in front of a very limited disk saving we could just create a
> probelm to not expert users that could miss the explanation of what is
> missing: both of them are less than 0.5 MB once installed.
>
> So I'd really prefer to leave those 2 drivers as dependencies.

Recommends, right?  As a user it annoys me to no end when the packager Depends
on something the system will work without; I end up having to roll my own
packages to get the small footprint I desire.

With recommends, newbie and novice users will get the packages, and one of the
first things you learn in wrangling apt-get/aptitude is how to not install
Recommends by default.

Depends: $mysql_pkg | $postgres_pkg | $other_pkgs
Recommends $mysql_pkg, $postgres_pkg, $other_pkgs
is ideal, I'd think.