Re: RFC for yapet filling debian/copyright

Dear Charles

Many thanks for your reply on this.

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 08:33:34PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 08:12:46AM +0200, Salvatore Bonaccorso a écrit :
> [...]
> > The second question is, how to handle the copyright for the files in
> > intl/ and m4/ directories. In particular, some of them have the same
> > license, but different copyright years, should then this really be
> > separated into stanzas of the copyright files, or is it enough to
> > state the most covering "time intervall"? And should be "autogeneratd"
> > files as aclocal.m4 which containts a copyright statement in the hader
> > also be included into debian/copyright?
> from my understanding of the GPL, as a distributor you do not have particular
> obligations to display copyright informations in the binary packages (it is the
> program that must be able, and anyway the sources must come together). For the
> source package, the copyright informations have to be displayed
> “appropriately”. My personal point of view is that what was good for Upstream
> is good for us.
>
> But in parallel to the program's license(s), you also have obligations from the
> Debian Policy and the archive administrators. In practice, no package has been
> rejected for not including information about the autoconf files, so if you do
> not feel like including them, it should be safe. For the GPL-2 files in intl/
> and m4/, I think that it is up to you to document or not the copyright holders,
> but you have to document the license.
>
> So you will have something like (in short):
>
> Name: YAPET
> Contact: Rafael Ostertag <rafi@guengel.ch>
> Source: http://www.guengel.ch/myapps/yapet/
>
> License: GPL-3+ with OpenSSL exception
>
> Files: intl/* m4/*
> License: GPL-2+

Ok, this clearify a bit my question on this. I was really not sure if
I need then to clarify each of the intl/* and m4/* if they have
"slightly different" coypright note ...

> And now, there may be a problem: if the files of intl/* are linked to the code
> with OpenSSL exception, they will not inherit it (this is where looking who
> holds the copyright gets some importance). So if they end up in linked to
> OpenSSL in the same program, it is probably unredistributable.

But this is not a "bad news" intl/ is shipped in upstream tarball, but
is not used during buildprocess, since I use "Use included libintl:
no" (see attached buildlog). Is this correct?

Many thanks for your help so far
Kind regards
Salvatore