Re: RFC for yapet filling debian/copyright

Le Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 08:12:46AM +0200, Salvatore Bonaccorso a écrit :

> Now, my question is about filling the debian/copyright. The overall
> license for yapet is GPL-3+ with the OpenSSL exception. This was
> changed upstream, after I informed him, about that issue. Now I'm
> unsure in this case if it is enough to state for "File: *" GPL-3+ with
> the OpenSSL exception, or if I really should separate these out,
> filling new stanza in debian/copyright.
>
> The second question is, how to handle the copyright for the files in
> intl/ and m4/ directories. In particular, some of them have the same
> license, but different copyright years, should then this really be
> separated into stanzas of the copyright files, or is it enough to
> state the most covering "time intervall"? And should be "autogeneratd"
> files as aclocal.m4 which containts a copyright statement in the hader
> also be included into debian/copyright?

Dear Salvatore,

from my understanding of the GPL, as a distributor you do not have particular
obligations to display copyright informations in the binary packages (it is the
program that must be able, and anyway the sources must come together). For the
source package, the copyright informations have to be displayed
“appropriately”. My personal point of view is that what was good for Upstream
is good for us.

But in parallel to the program's license(s), you also have obligations from the
Debian Policy and the archive administrators. In practice, no package has been
rejected for not including information about the autoconf files, so if you do
not feel like including them, it should be safe. For the GPL-2 files in intl/
and m4/, I think that it is up to you to document or not the copyright holders,
but you have to document the license.

So you will have something like (in short):

Name: YAPET
Contact: Rafael Ostertag <rafi@guengel.ch>
Source: http://www.guengel.ch/myapps/yapet/

License: GPL-3+ with OpenSSL exception

Files: intl/* m4/*
License: GPL-2+

And now, there may be a problem: if the files of intl/* are linked to the code
with OpenSSL exception, they will not inherit it (this is where looking who
holds the copyright gets some importance). So if they end up in linked to
OpenSSL in the same program, it is probably unredistributable.

Sorry for the bad news,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan