Re: ITS: arc-colors, gnome-colors, shiki-colors are ready

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 15:23:59 -0400 Andrew SB wrote:

> I suppose the real question is whether or not including the copyright
> year is a MUST or SHOULD. As Benjamin notes, gnome-icon-theme is
> already in Debian and does not include the years in their
> debian/copyright.

It's a should as far as I know.

> >>   And maybe you can list the files copyrighted by them? As they do not
> >>   have copyright over ALL files as listed at the moment.
> >
> > I do not know if it is possible. Victor, do you know, which files are
> > based on gnome-icon-theme files?
> >

> This would be best, but as the icons are mixed (some used directly
> while others are modified) it could be troublesome. The way we've done
> it for now seems to be very common through out Debian and upstream
> packages. Many packages list copyright holders that don't have
> copyright for every file all together if they use the same license.
> Just one example off the top of my head is awn-extra-applets. I'm
> listed in a bulk Copyright list, but I'm only the author of one applet
> out of many.

I know this works, and I do this too sometimes (esp when headers say
"the foobar team"), but if it is possible (without a real huge
workload), a detailed list would be nice :)

> >> + Files: Tango based icons, can you list them? Files: should be a
> >>   shell-glob/regular expression/whatever (*machine* readable :))
> >
> > Same again. Victor, can you list them?
> >

> Again, that would be best. But if this proves problematic, would
> simply removing this section be acceptable, since putting them in the
> public domain explicitly gives up copyright? Implying that we are
> relicensing them in Debian?

Yeah, would work too. One could even say Victor relicensed them, as he
"sells" them in a tarball, saying "GPL" ontop :)

> (I hope I don't come off like I'm complaining, just trying to
> navigated the sometimes subjective world of the debian/copyright
> file.)

Not at all, debian/copyright can be a hell, and here we have really low
trouble, but when you see some other obscure licenses, one might think:
go away, I wont package this, you must be crazy.
But as this is not the case here, we should't rant but upload soon :)

--
Bruce Schneier Fact Number 1016:
Bruce Schneier can guarantee fair exchange without trusted third