Re: dh 7 broken by design?

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 08:27:33AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> Helmut Grohne <helmut@subdivi.de> writes:
> > Well my basic idea was to add a .PHONY line to the 3-line example like:
> > #!/usr/bin/make -f
> > %:
> > 	$@
> > .PHONY:build clean install binary-arch binary-indep binary
> What is it about this ???debian/rules??? file that ???does not work???, as
> you said in your original message? What behaviour is expected, and
> what behaviour do you get instead?

I'm sorry, but my example is very subtly wrong. It's lacking the three
characters "dh " before "$@". Adding these will result in the example
from man 1 dh plus a .PHONY line.

The expected behaviour would be that there is no difference to the
simple 3-line example if none of the files listed with .PHONY exist.

The observed behaviour is that all targets listed with .PHONY are
"nothing to be done" targes, see #509756.

Helmut