Re: dh 7 broken by design?

Helmut Grohne <helmut@subdivi.de> writes:

> I only tried to fix the broken example by adding a .PHONY rule. What
> I blame dh for is that it implements .PHONY rules without marking
> them as such.

I don't understand this statement. ‘dh’ is a program, it doesn't
implement *any* makefile rules. That's up to the person who writes the
makefile (which in our context is named ‘debian/rules’).

I'm having trouble understanding what it is you expect to happen. What
would the result of “dh marking .PHONY rules as such” actually look
like? Should something change on the system when ‘debhelper’ version 7
or above is installed? If so, what?

--
 \       “Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in |
  `\     behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.” —Ambrose |