Re: RFS: nd (updated package)

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 01:35:33PM +0100, Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
> I have follow almost all your advice. The revised package is
> still in the same spot with the same name. Thank you!

Heh. Next time follow *all* the advice. :)

nd.docs does not need to contain debian/README.Debian - see the man
page for dh_installdocs.

I still think that the README file shipped by upstream is pointless
for the Debian package - it is just a description of the program, plus
installation instructions.

(So please remove debian/nd.docs in the next version.)

I would prefer more detail in your changelog entries in future.  You
missed such things as bumping the Standards-Version to 3.8.3, and
adding README.source and README.Debian - if you can't remember what
you've changed, use 'debdiff'.  See:

http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-debian-changelog

I would err on the side of documenting too much, rather than too
little.

The Developers Reference recommends the "Closes: #NNNNNN" style for
changelog entries, rather than "Closes: bug#NNNNNN".  See:

http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/pkgs.html#upload-bugfix

I don't think the README.Debian adds much to the package - discussion
of bugs should be made on the bug tracking system.  You should file
another bug against the package detailing the segmentation fault that
can still happen, and then try to fix it.

The debian/copyright file could be cleaned up, but it seems to be
accurate enough.

I disagree with some of the changes made to the description in
debian/control, and think it still needs improving - there's a mailing
list to help with writing English descriptions... erm... go find
it. :)

You could modernise the patch descriptions to use the proposed DEP-3
format.

Anyway, having said the above, I've uploaded the package as-is.
Please contact me directly for sponsorship of future versions (either
email, IRC or XMPP).

Please send your compilation warning fixes to the upstream maintainer,
if you can make contact.

Also let me know if you need sponsorship for any other packages (I see
you maintain windowlab already), or if you have NMU diffs for RC bugs,
or things like that.  I'm a little bit busy moving house tomorrow, and
it might be a few weeks before I have a reliable internet connection
again, but I should respond to email.

Thanks for your work,

--
Tim Retout <tim@retout.co.uk>