Re: Debian changelog vs upstream changelog

Le Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 11:50:30AM +1100, Ben Finney a écrit :
> Rather, it would be good to have a facility similar to the way the
> Debian changelog is currently available: have the upstream changelog
> published in a predictable location by package name.
> A good project from someone with a lot of time on their hands, I guess.

Hello everybody,

I propose to store this information and similar ones in a parsable file in the
debian directory of the packages. For instance, debian/upstream-metadata.yaml.
For packages stored in a VCS, this information will be easy to retreive. The
retreiver system can then crunch the files and sumbit a proper table to the
Ultimate Debian Database (UDD), which is a convenient entry point to build
dynamic websites.

This would separate the taks of information gathering, information
transmission, and information display. Of course, for the packages not stored
in a public VCS, there needs a plan B…

I am accumulating such files in the packages I maintain in the Debian Med
packaging team. For instance:

As you can see, I am hesitant on the format of some fields. I think that the
structure of the file should stay as simple as possible.

As a first proof of principle, I created a tiny site that can turn the
individual package records in per-field summaries. For instance:

aqwa『debian』$ wget http://upstream-metadata.debian.net/table/DOI -O - 2>/dev/null
melting	10.1093/bioinformatics/17.12.1226
perlprimer	10.1093/bioinformatics/bth254
r-other-bio3d	10.1093/bioinformatics/btl461
bioperl	10.1101/gr.361602
mummer	10.1186/gb-2004-5-2-r12
r-cran-qvalue	10.1073/pnas.1530509100
samtools	10.1093/bioinformatics/btp352

(where DOI is a bibliographic information: if one pastes it after
http://dx.doi.org/, he is redirected to the academic publication describing the
program, for instance ’http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/bth254’;)

Have a nice day,

Charles Plessy