Re: Writing manpages (was: Re: Man and UTF-8.)

Hi, Joachim.

On Nov 18 2009, Joachim Wiedorn wrote:
> Am Wed, 18 Nov 2009 05:30:33 -0200 schrieb Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br>:
> > But what do you people use to edit manpages that you maintain
> > frequently?
> I find the simplest way is to use *ManEdit*.

Is this the same as gmanedit (that's the only one that seems to be
available in the archives)? I remember having used it some ages ago and
I wasn't impressed, but that was a long time ago.

> At the beginning you can get templates for the structure of the man
> page. There are support for header and sections. There are some
> shortcuts for formatting. But you also must know syntax elements of
> manpages: <TP> <LP> and so on.

This is what I'm trying to avoid. When I edit the bare *roff sources, I
usually end up having line breaks where I don't want and not having
where I want and it takes me some round trips to get it as I wanted.

I guess that I only have two options left, as it seems: Perl's pod
format or docbook. The only problem with docbook is that I don't know
how to avoid the torrent of markups and typing some of them is long.

Now, if there were some LaTeX -> man, that would be amazing.

Anyway, I will give gmanedit a try right now. Let's see if my
impressions still hold.

Other opinions and suggestions are very welcome.

Regards, Rogério Brito.