Re: Man and UTF-8.

Le Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 05:31:29AM -0200, Rogério Brito a écrit :

> On Nov 17 2009, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > Is there a way to put an indication in the manpage source code for the
> > nroff parser, that the UTF-8 encoding is used?
>
> I don't know the answer to that. OTOH, if you only need to use accented
> latin characters, you can use something like this:
>
> Rog\('erio Brito
>
> This is described in man 7 groff_char. Perhaps other characters are too.

Hi Rog\('erio,

this is the answer I was afraid reading :)

In the manpage I wrote, I wanted to use English guillemets (‘’). This lead to
errors and I gave up, replacing them by `'. Guess what? Groff understood what
I wanted and put nice Unicode guillemets in the ouptut! I am quite amazed, even
if it looks like a strange hack to me.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles