Re: Man and UTF-8.

On Nov 17 2009, Russ Allbery wrote:
> It is in the *roff language, similar to how '' is an opening or closing
> quotation mark in TeX.

Just as an addendum, in TeX, `` is the opening (double) quotation mark
and '' is the closing quotation mark.  Similarly, ` is the opening
single quotation mark and ' is the closing single quotation mark.

> *roff is a formatting language, not ASCII text with a few special
> commands, and it's important to be aware of that while writing in it.

Same with TeX.

> *roff is 33 years old.  It doesn't work the way that it would if it were
> designed today.

Same with TeX.

With TeX, BTW, we have some extensions (or even reimplementations) that
allow us to type things in UTF-8 directly, instead of using escape
sequences like in older TeX (e.g., Rogério instead of Rog\'erio, in
utf-8 or in latin1, though some care should be taken to avoid clashes
between different encodings used in the same file).

Regards from a daily LaTeX user,