Re: RFS: qemu-kvm (kvm)

On Friday 16 October 2009 10:52:26 Michael Tokarev wrote:
> There's a kvm package in debian, which is basically a
> modified qemu (system emulator) that supports virtualization
> extensions of modern CPUs.
>
> I maintain kvm package for my needs for a long time, in my
> local repository.  I'm supporting users in kvm-dedicated
> IRC channel as well.
>
> And it's a real PITA to know that I have to refer to external
> repository (on my site) all debian users, because all their
> problems are resolved by upgrading to a new version which is
> not available in Debian.
>
> I wrote to debian kvm package maintainer several times, I
> submitted a bugreport against kvm long time ago, but never
> heard back.
>
> So now I'm requesting a sponsor to upload my packages into
> debian.

If you are wanting to do a sponsored NMU (which is kind of odd), be sure you
are very familiar with the NMU procedure
<http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#nmu> and the
sponsorship process <http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-
reference/new-maintainer.html>.

> The packages can be found here:
>
>    http://www.corpit.ru/debian/tls/kvm/

I did not review your package.  IANADD anyway.

> While at it, I applied to be a Debian Developer, to be able
> to maintain this and several other packages myself without
> a need for a sponsor.

To be a Debian Developer, you need to be *very* familiar with a few documents:
  * Debian Reference
  * Debian Developer's Reference
  * Debian Policy Manual
  * Debian Menu System

They are long and dense.  You might want to start with some lighter
introductions, but you cannot stop there:
  * Debian New Maintainers' Guide
  * Introduction to i18n

Finally, there may be specific policy documents that apply to the package(s)
you are most interested in.  For example, maintainers of java-related packages
should be familiar with the "Debian GNU/Linux and Java FAQ".

All of these documents are available from <http://www.debian.org/doc/>.