Re: RFS: ne (QA upload)

Hi Sven!

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 05:41:51PM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for the new version 2.0.3-1 of the package
> "ne", which is currently orphaned (see #547225¹).

I'm a DD now, I can sponsor this package.

> It builds these binary packages:
> ne         - Nice Editor, an easy-to-use and powerful editor
> ne-doc     - Documentation for NE, the Nice Editor
>
> Long description of the ne package:
>
> ,----
> | NE is one of the few editors being both easy to use for the beginner and
> | powerful enough for the wizard, supporting UTF-8 and multi-column
> | characters as well as syntax highlighting.
> |
> | It uses short, intuitive and easy to remember key bindings while
> | providing all the features an editor should have. It is fully
> | configurable allowing the user to change the content of the various
> | menus, to easily create small macros and to easily change the existing
> | key bindings while being a small and fast editor.
> |
> | It was written by Sebastiano Vigna and Todd Lewis.
> `----

I have a few minor suggestions here.

I wouldn't include the authors in the long description, as that's kind
of boring/useless information for the user. also, the short
descriptions should follow the guidelines in devref, please read this
page and adjust accordingly (no capital in "Documentation", should be
a noun phrase, etc):
http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-pkg-synopsis

and I wouldn't mention that the acronym "ne" stands for "nice editor"
in the short description, I'd move that to the long description.

> The ne-doc package is a new binary package with the documentation for
> the editor in various formats.  Since that sums up to more than two
> Megabyte, I have split it off from the main package.

good work here.

> - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/n/ne/ne_2.0.3-1.dsc

I will. I haven't tested that the package actually works, I'm assuming
you already did that thoroughly enough and that it will work fine for
me when I test it. other than the minor things that I mentioned above,
it seems like you did a fine job. one other concern (and this isn't
new in your changes) is that there's no copyright/license information
for the Debian packaging. It's probably okay to assume the copyright
years based on the debian/changelog and the license is the same as
upstream. could please add this information (including a copyright
statement for your work as well) to debian/copyright?

also, I'd suggest that you look into using debhelper 7 minimized rules
files (see "man dh"), tho this is completely up to you and is a
personal preference kind of thing. the rules file is fine as-is.

hm, one more thing. The information in README.Debian seems a bit out
of place. It might be better to be patching that information into the
upstream documention in the "Key Bindings" section, so that users are
more likely to see it when they're reading the manual. again, just a
suggestion, and unrelated to your changes. also, please forward your
patches to upstream if you haven't already done so.

Thanks for the work on this!

Cheers,
Ryan

[Please CC me on reply, otherwise I will likely miss your email. also
feel free to contact me via IRC, my nick is Ryan52 on OFTC.]

--
Ryan Niebur