Re: Taking care of existing packages

On söndagen den 30 augusti 2009, Ben Finney wrote:
> Thanks for addressing the questions and helping make the process
> clearer.
>
> Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:
> > The maintainer of bk2site has been inactive for more than one year (I
> > just checked with the mia-query tool). The “echelon” information
> > indicates that he posted somewhere in May 2009 a message with the ID
> > E1M1BP9-0000eo-2K@junior, but I did not find anything in our archives,
> > nor in Gmane or Google.
>
> Okay. In the spirit of the initial exercise and the example you posted,
> I've been trying to understand the procedure you recommend.
>
> Are you saying the package needs additional requests for removal, or
> that Luk's comment is sufficient? Is there another request for removal
> I've missed? If there is, where is it?

A package can be removed (hinted for removal) from testing by the release
managers without anyone requesting it if it's been RC buggy for too long and
no packages (in testing) depend on it (if it's extremely buggy and not too
many or too important packages depend on it I guess those can be removed too).

A package can be removed from unstable after someone files an RM bug against
the ftp.debian.org pseudopackage. It will then automatically disappear from
testing, again once no packages in testing depend on it.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@debian.org
Debian Developer