Re: RFS: opendchub (updated package)

> On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 18:43 +0200, Patrick Matthäi wrote:
> > Sorry, you made a step in the wrong way:
> > * Remove debian/patches, now merged in git
> >
> >  Makefile              |  588
> > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> >  src/commands.c        |    2
> >  src/perl_utils.c      |    9
>
> Good call, that Makefile shouldn't be there, its not in the new upstream
> sources but seems to have snuck in the last NMU.  I have uploaded
> 0.8.0-2 fixing this:
>
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/o/opendchub/opendchub_0.8.0-2.ds
>
> > You should *never* do modifications directly in the source, the
> > debian/patches behaviour was correct.
>
> I never did modifications on the upstream source directly; I had git
> branches[0] set up with their own copies of the source, so modifications
> are self-contained within those branches.
>
> > Please revert it.
>
> Please see this[1] for my rationale behind the debian/patches move.
>
> [0]  See the gitweb at http://code.zakame.net/opendchub.git
> [1]  Message-Id: <1251211701.3814.57.camel@perlis.zakame.net>

Nice argumentation, but not bullet proof ;-)

Actually your repo is a very weak reference to what actually Debian currently
releases -- source and binary packages, eventually burned on optical media
people use here and there. Let's, imagine a secret lab, giant budgets, and
perhaps a team of government scientists working within a non-internetworked
area (surprise, heh;-) using Debian source and binary CD/DVD's. Now, do you
see the disconnect? Providing more use cases like that, even in the days of
Web 2.0, is a trivial task, just try harder ;-)

Hopefully that could be fixed by actually distributing package's VCS repo, that
we can call boldly `self-contained', which would effectively be addressed by
the new debian source formats like 3.0 (git) and friends. However they are not
ready yet AFAICT, so until then topgit might be your best bet, if you want to
re-connect all the users of your source package(s) Debian proudly distributes.