Re: Automated testing for GUI programs (was: RFS: trend)

In article
<85c01b290908152319ye68a74cg7afbaeb6e8f343f5@mail.gmail.com>,
 Kartik Mistry <kartik.mistry@gmail.com> wrote:

> > One option (which I never got around to evaluating) is Dogtail:
>
> You can also use LDTP aka Linux Desktop Testing Project. Package is
> available in Debian and upstream is very well supportive. Ubuntu is
> going to use LDTP for desktop testing. May be someone from Debian can
> do same :)
>
> See: http://ldtp.freedesktop.org/
> and apt-get install ldtp

Both dogtail and ldtp use the accessibility interface, which is only
available to recent GTK+/QT/Java applications.

But with bare OpenGL I can't do much except comparing the fb against a
reference rendering after performing some operation (by forcing mesa's
software rasterizer it "could" actually be do-able) but with an
interactive GUI this is no easy task. You could have a batch of x11
activity to perform and expected results to compare against in several
points of time, but that's a *lot* of work. Is anyone aware of a testing
framework that works like this?

I developed a software rasterizer in my last job, and even with batch
processing, testing was no easy task. The testing framework source size
was simply on a different scale.