Automated testing for GUI programs (was: RFS: trend)

Yuri D'Elia <wavexx@users.sf.net> writes:

> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 09:38:27 +0800 Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> > One more thing, is there a non-interactive test suite? This would be
> > useful to ensure that it works on all the platforms where it builds.
>
> Unfortunately no. I would have no idea how to test a 100% graphical
> application.

One option (which I never got around to evaluating) is Dogtail:

    dogtail is a GUI test tool and automation framework written in
    Python. It uses Accessibility (a11y) technologies to communicate
    with desktop applications. dogtail scripts are written in Python and
    executed like any other Python program.

    <URL:https://fedorahosted.org/dogtail/>

--
 \         “Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?” “I think so, |
  `\    Brain, but don't you need a swimming pool to play Marco Polo?” |