Re: RFS: kwstyle

> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 8:24 PM, George Danchev<danchev@spnet.net> wrote:
> >> Dear mentors,
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "kwstyle".
> >>
> >> * Package name    : kwstyle
> >>   Version         : 1.0.0+cvs20090716-1
> >>   Upstream Author : Julien Jomier <julien.jomier@kitware.com>
> >> * URL             : http://public.kitware.com/KWStyle/
> >> * License         : BSD
> >>   Section         : devel
> >>   Programming Lang: C++
> >>   Description     : style checker for source code
> >>

> >> It builds these binary packages:
> >> kwstyle    - Style checker for source code
> >>
> >> The upload would fix these bugs: 537227
> >>
> >> The package can be found on mentors.debian.net:
> >> - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable
> >> main contrib non-free - dget
> >> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/k/kwstyle/kwstyle_1.0.0+cvs20
> >>090 716-1.dsc
> >>
> >> I would be glad if someone uploaded this package for me.
> >
> > Several lintian warnings:
> >
> > * wrt NMU-one: if lintian can't find identical name/email string as found
> > in the last debian/changelog entry and in Maintainer/Uploaders field in
> > control file it assumes that it is an NMU; yours differ, so it produces
> > warnings related to NMUs.
> > * Other warnings should be trivial to fix.
>
> Done. Thanks.

1) Insisting on NMU prior to Initial release does not make much of sense and I
don't think we even need a lintian check for that ;-)

kwstyle (1.0.0+cvs20090716-1.1) unstable; urgency=low

  * Non-maintainer upload.
  * Initial release (Closes: #537227)

What you want is to:

* drop the debian revision of -1.1, and use -1 instead
* drop 'Non-maintainer upload'
* copy the value of your Maintainer: field as name/email of your changelog
entry (the extra (malat) between the name and the address makes the difference
as compared to the Maintainer field).

2) Missing build dependencies: cmake
You may want to have a look at the cowbuilder package and cowbuilder(8) man
page of how to create and use a clean chroot environment in order to test your
package builds and find regressions.

3) Two warnings are still there:
W: kwstyle source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.7.3 (current is 3.8.2)
W: kwstyle: copyright-without-copyright-notice

their resolution is broadly explained by lintian (from unstable).

> > Documentation provided by the package is scarce: merely mentioning an URL
> > for further reference in the man page doesn't count. Also, installing
> > sample xml configuration files which make sense to bootstrap the users
> > would be good idea too.
>
> I have added the complete Web/ directory, which seems to be used internally
> by Kitware for there nightly KWStyle dashboard.
>
> Thanks,

4) Ok, that is fine, however I doubt anyone would upload a package with a man
page like that:

You can find information in the KWStyle manual page and on the
KWStyle web page http://public.kitware.com/KWStyle.

Rf: http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/November2003/article309.shtml#309lfindex4
(at least OPTIONS is relevant, and should be properly added as well)