problem with git-buildpackage ... I'm missing something

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a package from a git project but it seems I can't convince
git-buildpackage to build the package properly. I've read the git-buildpackage
manual and used with git-import-dsc , but I've never used tracking a git
project 'manually'. So, this is what I've done.

$git clone git@github.com:flerda/MiniSat-ocaml.git
$git branch -a
* master
  remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
  remotes/origin/master
  remotes/origin/minisat2
$git checkout -b upstream remotes/origin/minisat2
$git branch -a
* master
  upstream
  remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
  remotes/origin/master
  remotes/origin/minisat2
$cp <location of the debian directory> debian
$git merge master upstream
$git commit -a -m debianization
$git-buildpackage
dpkg-buildpackage: full upload; Debian-native package (full source is included)

So I clone the upstream repo, create an upstream branch to track a specific
branch the I add the debian directory, commit, rinse and build ... but
git-buildpackage does not consider the upstream branch as upstream and hence
does not create a proper source package.

I've also tried to specify --git-upstream-branch with no aval ...
what am i doing wrong ?

thanks.
pietro

ps: I'm also one of the upstream authors, but I prefer to keep the debian
packaging separated from the development work.

--
----