Re: RFS: mount-systray

On Thursday 25,June,2009 09:00 PM, Juan Jesús Ojeda Croissier wrote:
> Hummm.... So, I wasn't wrong :-P
Yes you were.

> This software was created for a Debian-derived distribution
> (Guadalinex). Maybe it's possible to change the packaging or compile
> from the sources, but it wasn't the initial idea and it is not
> supported by us. It is software for a Debian-derived distributions.
There is nothing Debian specific about mounting or unmounting devices.
It can be used just as easily on non-Debian systems as it can be on
Debian. This already makes it a non-native package. Native packages are
stuff like debhelper, lintian, apt, aptitude, etc. These are
Debian-specific and a core part of what makes Debian Debian.

> Probably, if more distros (Debian, Ubuntu, LinEx, Molinux and others
> Debian-derived distributions) start to use it and we see other distros
> like to use it, we'll convert it into upstream project (maybe in
> GNOME) and the package will be changed into non-native one. But by now
> we can't assure that the code itself will work in another distro. We
> haven't tried it, neither we have prepared it for supporting it.
You (as the upstream) not having prepared yourself for supporting it on
other distributions does not make this package a Debian native package.
As Boyd said, "If you can think of *any* reason that openSUSE, Fedora,
or Gentoo (users) would want to use the software (albeit with different
packaging) you should use normal (non-native) packaging." From what
you've said, it would seem that there definitely is a reason for users
of other distributions to use it.

> If you guys still see this as a non-native package, we'll change it,
> but IMHO, at least right now, it is a native package.
IMHO, it is not. :)

Matthew Palmer's debian-mentors FAQ[1] is a good read, by the way.
Scroll down to the section "What is the difference between a native
Debian package and a non-native package?"

[1] http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html

--
Regards,
Chow Loong Jin