Proper dependency on essential package (dpkg) for preinst

Hello,
I recently got an RC bug (#530653) which turned out to be a change
in dpkg's update-alternative (the string and output channel of an
error message was changed which is used in the preinst). So I
prepared a new package, but this of course will only work with the
dpkg in unstable (not the one currently in testing nor (old)stable).

To allow (partial) updates I think the proper way would be to depend
on dpkg (>= 1.15.0) until Squeeze is released.

I read debian-policy and I think I'm right. But given this is in the
preinst I would like to confirm that in this case not one of the other
options (Pre-Depends, Conflicts, Breaks) is more suitable.

Thanks!

Greetings

            Helge