Re: Proper dependency on essential package (dpkg) for preinst

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 1:34 AM, Helge Kreutzmann <debian@helgefjell.de> wrote:

> I recently got an RC bug (#530653) which turned out to be a change
> in dpkg's update-alternative (the string and output channel of an
> error message was changed which is used in the preinst). So I
> prepared a new package, but this of course will only work with the
> dpkg in unstable (not the one currently in testing nor (old)stable).

Why do you need to rely on the output from update-alternatives? Isn't
the exit status enough? Also, why isn't it possible to make it work
with both output methods?

> To allow (partial) updates I think the proper way would be to depend
> on dpkg (>= 1.15.0) until Squeeze is released.

Depends are not nessecarily satisfied in the preinst.

> I read debian-policy and I think I'm right. But given this is in the
> preinst I would like to confirm that in this case not one of the other
> options (Pre-Depends, Conflicts, Breaks) is more suitable.

Pre-Depends would be what is needed to satisfy dependencies in preinst
(I think).

--
bye,
pabs